Youth: Open Space (Southeast Asia)
Read the outputs of the previous Youth: Open Space sessions
UPCOMING OPEN SPACE
ASEAN Youth Forum (AYF) aims to accommodate the voices of young Southeast Asians. Being a platform to accommodate the voices of young Southeast Asians it has always been, we would like to announce that we are hosting the thirteenth Youth: Open Space
Sunday, September 19th, 2021
02.00 - 03.30 PM (Bangkok/Jakarta Time)
Topic: Youth Mortality & Livelihood
Co-hosts: Anukriti (Singapore), Alicia (Indonesia), and Kyn (The Philippines)
Notes of Participation: Download
In this Open Space, AYF is providing a platform for youth to discuss the youth mortality and livelihood. In the document of ASEAN YDI, it is stated “While mortality in youth is lower than other ages, youth are more likely to to partake in risky behaviors than other cohorts which can impact both their immediate and longer-term health. This makes health monitoring of young people vital for both intervention and long term health planning. Health monitoring of young people is vital. Some of these risks include: Road traffic accidents, Violence (both as victims and perpetrators), Suicide, Communicable diseases, Maternal disorders, Nutrient deficiency, Alcohol and drug abuse.”
While health is being highlighted during the pandemic, it is important to note that youth are also suffering from a system that does not promote youth wellbeing and livelihoods. There is a few youth mortality data related to the socio-political dynamics in the region. Youth livelihood is being threatened by situations that do not allow youth pursue better lives . If you feel like sharing your thoughts so far or simply just want to hear from other youth in the region, feel free to join because we'd love to have you in this open space.
Key Driving Questions:
- Reflects on the situations that you personally experienced or are experiencing and points out what situations that contribute to your wellbeing?
- What dynamics influence your life and become the challenges for you to pursue a better livelihood?
- Reflect on the community you are living with and map the factors that contribute to vulnerability of the community? How the community or youth is in danger and their right to life is at risk.
The open space is designed for a very interactive session where there will be hosts that would moderate the leaderless discussion. It will take place via Zoom (please download Zoom App beforehand) and once the discussion is opened, the host will break the participants into smaller group so that eveyone can have equal opportunity to share and to voice out their mind and feelings. The discussion will last around 45 minutes. ASEAN Youth Forum will create an article and video output based on the discussion.
Sunday, September 19th, 2021
2PM - Bangkok, Jakarta, Hanoi, Phnom Penh, Vientiane
1.30PM - Yangon
3PM - Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, Bandar Seri Begawan, Manila
4PM - Dili
Any youth who
- are between 15-35 years old
- are a national of / living in Brunei Darussalam, Cambodia, Indonesia, Lao PDR, Singapore, Malaysia, Myanmar, The Philippines, Thailand, Timor Leste, and Vietnam.
- believe in the values of human rights, justice, democracy, and freedom
- Register here
- Participants will receive confirmation through email that contains zoom link details
- AYF will remind the participants about Youth: Open Space twice after confirmation email
you can address any question to email@example.com